With a Kabuto blank resting safely in my basement and my sporadic purchase of components to complete the build this winter (I still need tip top, seat and grip), I figured I'd knuckle down and build my own wrapping rack.
I've seen all the available options and it seemed to me to be an easy build. Unfortunately, I'm not handyman, so it ended up being rough around the edges, and I even had to nip out today to pick up a better saw (my wife only had a hacksaw in her toolbox - that right there folks, says it all about how handy I am) and some felt for the rests.
Anyways, with out going into too much in the way of details, below you'll find a few pictures of the process....
I basically used a saw, dremmel, and drill to get everything in
rough shape. Of course, the little bit of reading I did do about the project came in useful, as I learned that predrilling the holes for the screws was gonna prevent the wood from splitting, lucky me, eh!
Everthing was measured out ahead of time, but the old addage, measure thrice, cut once, came true, when I realized one of the vertical rests was slightly longer than the other, so some last minute trimming was required, about a half inch of the bottom of one.
Both rests are secured with three 1.75 inch screws, right through the base and into predrilled holes in the bottom of the rests.
View from above...I used 0.75x3" pine for the base and stands. I cut the V's with the saw, then sanded them down with the dremmel.
To finish the rests, I pinned on two pieces of felt, one on each side, with 4 pins - two outside, and two inside the V's. After that I glued on two more pieces of felt with Elmer's Rubber Cement. I feel like I need to add another two longer pieces again on top of the first two, and tack them down on the edges outside and on the sides the rests, just to tidy it up a bit and to ensure the rod is fully protected from felt slippage, should there be any. I had planned to stain it, but decided not to bother. If I ever get into hand wrapper production business, I'll use the stain then.
One thing you'll notice is no thread tensioners. This is because I intend to use a bobbin for the thread/silk. To assist with this, I've added three loop eyes along the front edge of the base, through which the bobbin will slide.
I've tested it out, and the tension from the bobbin is perfect for getting nice tight wraps on the blank without breaking the silk (Pearsall's Gossamer in this case) Now i just need to practice and get some experimental wraps done and expoxied, with and without color preserver.
And that folks is how a non-handyman goes about building a hand rod wrapping rest. All told, I'm out about $40 including wood, saw, stain, brush, screws and felt. Took me about 2 hours to measure, cut, shape, attach the wood and finish the felt and loops in the front!
The dremmel I already had for hook making, though that is another project to be started I suppose when I get more 'workshop' space. Speaking of work shop space, that can't come soon enough, as I now feel I need a router, lathe, band saw, belt sander, circular saw and a whole slew of other equipment to fuel my new found interest in woodwork. No doubt the lady of the house will tack on a few projects if that ever comes to fruition.
Hope you enjoyed the post!