Monday, November 26, 2012

Took a dunk....

Finally a fishing report after almost a full year of this blog....thanks for sticking with me!!

This past week I took myself fishing as my wife and daughter are overseas for a couple weeks. For me fishing days come few and far between, so, when the opportunity presents itself, you have to grab it! Drove about an hour to the stream, Tulpehocken Creek in Reading PA,  stopping by the TCO Tackle Store to get some supplies, you know, because it was close by the river and I 'needed' some fly tying materials and a few leaders. Got to the stream, the thermometer in the car read 39F and the guy in the store reckoned the water would be about 40F
Tackled up my new 3wt CT, which I had picked up in the recent clymb deal. Man, that little rod is something else. A pleasure to cast, light and responsive in the hand. At 7'6 it was just right for this stream. I wish now i'd picked up a 5 or 6 wt too when they were on offer. There was gusty wind today and that little rod punched my WF3F right across the stream with nice tight loops. Gold head fly and everything.

First fly was my Sparkle Ghost Bugger- Get some tied up! I fished across a nice riffle I've had success at before...3rd cast, fish on!!

I took a photo of him, revived him and sent him on his merry way again. A nice spotty Rainbow.

Working down the short riffle for about 45 mins with the fly and no other fish. Changed to another of my creations, the Royal Coachman nymph, and slowly stepping down stream, lost my  balance -KERPLUNK.
Luckily the water wasnt deep, but it sure as all hell was cold. Had my wading belt on nice and tight, so very little water down the waders. Hands and lower arms were drenched, and with the cold air temp I had to call it a day after a hour or so of fishing. I wish I'd brought some spare clothes with me though, cause I was pumped for fishing, especially after catching the little guy. Unfortunately my cell phone was in my jacket pocket (outside the waders) so the phone got bit damp. I managed to upload the fish photo before it died though. I finally got it switched back on again this evening, its now in a ziplock bag with rice to tease out the remaining moisture.
So, at 33 years old, I've decided to add a wading staff to my arsenal and probably a PFD too while i'm at it. To be honest, this little dunk has been a while coming as I've had a few near misses in the past.
Lessons learned today. Pay attention and wade or fish, not both together. Bring spare clothes, keep phones off the water, or at least in waterproof containers, but most important, never let a dunk get you down!
It was an enjoyable hour of fishing.


  1. After a serious achilles injury, I bought my dad a hiking stick (no "stick" to it, it's fiberglass and metal!) for wading while he's fishing. In short, he loves it!. I put a paracord loop and a magnetic net keeper strap on it so it won't float off if he loses his grip, and it doubles as a monopod for his camera. Buying one for myself is in the works...just not immediately! Good luck!

  2. Thanks El. Have to weigh the options over the winter. Cant see there being too many more fishing days (if any) before spring!

  3. That's the benefit of living in the south...if I wasn't decorating everything in the house with lights and brightly colored tinsel, I could be on the river without icicles growing from my nose hairs!


Comments are moderated. It may take a few minutes for your comment to be logged on the post.